Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Look

As the recession continues to vaporize our wallets, homes, and jobs, we find ourselves with nothing but conservation on our brains. While this new sense of frugality is indeed a valuable virtue, our hearts often break when we say goodbye to our favorite pre-recession indulgences. If any of you are like me, then you might be saddened to see your favorite boutiques and consignment shops close and the money for your latest dress suddenly gone. As soon as I witnessed the first effects, I have been pondering ways to keep my wardrobe looking lovely and my bank account looking full. While I could just buy cheaper clothing it wouldn't really amount to anything if it's poorly made and will not last until next season. So I have divulged a plan: the uniform. No, not a plaid skirt or a polo that says "McDonald's", but a collection of versatile favorites and statement pieces. These are not only affordable but pay for themselves as they carry you through the recession and beyond in style!



This is a perfect spring-fall staple that you can wear with nearly anything. Contrast it with a rumpled coat, pull it together with a blazer, toughen it up with tights and docs, or wear it as is. Even with their recent hype, the cinched waist is a timeless silhouette. Banana Republic Sleeveless Pleated Dress - $150



So what did Kurt Cobain, Mr. Rogers and Michelle Obama have in common? The cardigan! Seriously though, cardigans are almost as necessary as shoes. They keep you warm, look really cute and make just about anything instantly more modest/grungy/prim/polished/etc. Coincidence & Chance Shawl Collar Cardigan-$40




A total staple piece that you can wear tucked into a circle skirt a la Roman Holiday or untucked with denim cutoffs a la Anja Rubik. American Eagle Striped Favorite Shirt- $39.50


This skirt is made of a really soft but structured material. I like it best in blue because it can imitate a denim skirt if you make it casual but can easily be dressed up. Delia's Susanna Skirt -$34.50


Ultimately, these pieces are suggestions. They are pieces that are generally very versatile but my advice is to take this time to stop buying every last trend and really find yourself. Figure out your look and only buy pieces that truly reflect that image. Don't simply pick out normal basics, go with pieces that you really love and will wear again and again and never get tired of. Those are worth anything.

7 comments:

  1. How could she be so incredibly gorgeous? And have such an amazing style. I can't help but love Audrey Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the button down with the circle skirt look--so chic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Audrey Hepburn is just so gorgeous!

    xoxo,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you very well know, I ADORE cardigans, most sweaters actually. I think this is a grand idea!-B

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a super cute post! looove the skirt!! your blog is really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know; isn't that bag so perfect! Just not it's price =[. I really love that skirt you posted!

    xoxo,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good post! Really good idea (:
    I always wear cardigans, although I should probably buy nicer ones. They're just so convenient to throw on and keep you warm

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I promise to return the favor!

avec <3,
Bonnie Klyde